Hydrogenated oils are bad because they contain large amounts of trans fats and other toxic fats. However, vegetable oils are equally as bad. Not many people know that vegetable oils are processed in almost the same way as hydrogenated oils!
Vegetable oils contain polyunsaturated fats, which are damaged by heat. During the factory refining process, all vegetable oils (even expeller pressed oils) are super heated thus creating several very harmful molecules. Trans fats are the most recognized of those harmful molecules but there are even more harmful chemicals that are produced in vegetable oils during the factory refining process.
The toxic chemicals produced by processing of these oils includes chemicals which:
1- Damage cells and disrupts basic metabolic functions
2- Have been linked to serious healthy problems including birth defects, growth anomalies, cancer, heart attacks, strokes and genetic damage.
Start paying attention to the ingredients of the foods you buy at the grocery story. You will be surprised at how often vegetable oils are used in the processed foods we buy. When you get the toxins from vegetable oils out of your system you are going to start feeling exponentially better and your health will improve immediately!
Here are the types of Vegetable Oils you want to avoid:
- Canola oil
- Cottonseed oil
- Corn oil
- Grapeseed oil
- Rice Bran oil
- Safflower oil
- Soy oil
- Sunflower oil
These are some of the foods that contain a LOT of vegetable oil that you’ll want to replace with cleaner brands that don’t use vegetable oils or even better with your own home made versions.
- Breakfast cereal: Just dump breakfast cereal all together. Have you seen the amount of sugar in a single tiny serving of cereal?
- Chocolates: Look for organic versions instead, they use healthier fats.
- Cookies: Use brands that use butter instead of oil.
- Granola: Look for brands that use coconut or olive oils instead. We have great snack recipes here which are healthier breakfast and snack options.
- Salad dressings: These are really easy to make on your own and are much healthier.
- Bread: The most common oils used to make bread are canola and soy. If you eat bread, look for bread made with healthier options.
Start today, and in a couple weeks I guarantee that you will start feeling better all around. You won’t know there’s a difference in how you feel when you start eating clean until you do it. Start now.